In response to many requests from faculty members and Deans, another category of organized research program was created: School Center. These school-based research organizations may be approved by Deans for a defined period of time. The designation as a "School Center" may be advantageous for collaborative research efforts when submitting proposals for gifts, grants, and contracts to extramural sources.
School Centers may be established by a Dean if the following conditions exist:
- Faculty members are predominantly from their school;
- Title of the unit clearly implies its association with a particular school; and
- No resources are expected from the Vice Chancellor for Research or the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost.
The Dean of the School will be responsible for the following:
- Establishing procedures for submitting proposals for School Centers;
- Submitting the name of the proposed center to the Vice Chancellor for Research for approval;
- Appointing the Director and determining the term of service;
- Establishing terms of existence; a period of three to five years is recommended, with provisions for review by the Dean at the end of the term to reaffirm the merits of the Center and to renew its term;
- Budget, space, and administration or administrative oversight; and
- Any review the Dean deems necessary.
After submission by the Dean, the Vice Chancellor for Research will review proposed names of School Centers for distinctiveness and appropriateness of the title. The Office of Research will maintain a list of the approved School Center names. Use of the word "Institute" in the title remains restricted to approved Organized Research Units (ORUs) and multicampus research programs.
Proposals for designation as a School Center will not be subject to review by the Academic Senate.
School Centers may be listed on academic unit Websites and the Office of Research Website. However, only ORUs, Campus Centers, Special Research Programs, and multicampus research programs will be highlighted on the UCI Web page of research organizations, and in the database maintained by the UC Office of the President.
School Centers may print stationery and other publicity pieces with the approval of the Dean.
Faculty groups that seek designation as a School Center should contact the Dean’s office regarding procedures for submission of a proposal.
Groups seeking designation as a campus-approved research center should consult the Guidelines for Campus Centers and submit a proposal to the Vice Chancellor for Research.
Larger, multi-disciplinary research efforts, involving significant numbers of faculty members from two or more schools, may apply for designation as an Organized Research Unit (ORU). For information regarding the establishment of research programs with three or more campuses, refer to UC Multicampus Research Units.