If a Material Transfer Agreement is related to the transfer of tangible research materials between UCI and a nongovernmental entity to conduct scientific research and UCI does not pay for the material acquired through the MTA, then a financial disclosure is required from the researcher. MTAs are used to support an investigator's independent or collaborative research through the use of novel, tangible, research tool, or material.
The principal investigator and co-principal investigators (if applicable) must submit the State of California’s Statement of Economic Interest for Principal Investigators (Form 700U) if the responses to the following questions on the UCI Materials Transfer Agreement form are all "Yes":
- Was the decision to undertake this reserach based on receiving access to the Materials by the organization providing the requested Materials?
- Will the Materials be provided to UCI at no cost other than shipping?
- Do you have a financial interest in the outside institution providing the Materials (income, consulting, gift, stock ownership, sponsored/reimbursed travel or management position)?
Tips for Completing the 700U for a MTA
- Under Section 1: Please enter the name of the entity you are receiving a material transfer from and the estimated dollar amount of the materials (if not known, please indicate “research materials”).
- Under Section 2: Check “Initial” and enter the date you expect to start the research.
- Under Section 3: Please indicate whether or not you have any financial interests in the entity.
If the principal investigator, principal investigator’s spouse/registered domestic partner and dependent children indicate “No” for all the questions in Section 3 (Filer Information), then the principal investigator only needs to submit the Statement of Economic Interests for Principal Investigators form indicating the negative disclosure.
If the principal investigator, principal investigator’s spouse/registered domestic partner or dependent children indicate “Yes” for any of the questions in Section 3 (Filer Information), then the PI must submit the Statement of Economic Interests for Principal Investigators form and the Addendum for All Positive Disclosures to be reviewed by the Conflict of Interest Oversight Committee.