Proposition 64 enacted in California on November 8, 2016 allows for the use, cultivation, and sale/distribution of marijuana for non-medical purposes among people over the age of 21. However, based on federal law, marijuana is categorized as a Schedule I drug with “no currently accepted medical use” in the United States. There is no provision for the legal use of marijuana for research at UC except as established and in compliance with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) policies and regulations. Marijuana remains prohibited on all University property and at all University events, except for as used in approved academic research.

I want to...Does it contain...Who is the supplier?I need to...
Conduct hemp researchDelta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol with a concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis1. A USDA-approved state plan
2. A grower that has applied for and obtained a license directly from the USDA
3. A state Department of Agriculture that has established a research Pilot Program or a University authorized to grow hemp
4. An international supplier
Contact Grace Park at the Office of Research for Assistance
Conduct marijuana research1. All parts of the Cannabis sativa K. (marijuana) plant.
2. “Derivatives” of the marijuana plant
3. “Extracts” of the marijuana plant
DEA-approved source: Only the University of Mississippi is authorized to produce marijuana plant-based products for use by researchers in the U.S1. Receive approval from the Research Advisory Panel of California (RAPC) in the California Attorney General’s Office
2. Register with and obtain a Schedule I registration from the DEA. Contact Monique Skahan at EH&S for assistance
3. Submit an investigational new drug (IND) application to the FDA (if there are human research participants involved). Visit the FDA website for guidance on marijuana research with human subjects.
4. Obtain research-grade marijuana from a DEA- approved source. See NIDA Drug Supply Program.


Grace Park

Director, Research Engagement & Compliance
Any UCI researcher who wishes to pursue research that involves marijuana research or industrial hemp, or whose research is sponsored by the marijuana industry should, prior to commencement of any such research, consult with the Office of Research.