Acquiring Animals for Research Use

Purchasing Animals from Commercial Vendors

In-House Breeding Colonies and Pre-Weaning-Age Pups

Web Reporting of Animals

Purchasing Animals from Commercial Vendors

In order to protect the health and well being of all animals used at UCI, University Laboratory Animal Resources (ULAR) coordinates all animal purchases and transfers for the campus and UCIMC facilities. ULAR also establishes the recharge rates for all animal care services, including per diems rates, transportation and technical services.

All research animal acquisitions, whether from commercial vendors or other institutions, must be coordinated through University Laboratory Animal Resources (ULAR). Animals cannot be purchased, acquired or transferred to UCI until a protocol for their use has been reviewed and approved by the IACUC.

The University uses only purpose-bred animals for research, which are acquired from USDA-licensed Class A vendors. ULAR maintains a list of approved commercial vendors; these sources provide reliable colony health information and present a low risk of contamination to other research animals on campus. Animals from these vendors may enter campus vivaria directly upon arrival. Animals from all other sources, including other educational and research institutions, are subject to quarantine until their health status can be verified.

Adult animals that are purchased or transfered through ULAR are automatically deducted from the approved allocation - researchers are responsible for ensuring accuracy of protocol numbers when ordering or transfering animals. 

In-House Breeding Colonies and Pre-Weanling Pups

Research staff are responsible for reporting all animals that are not purchased through routine ULAR purchasing procedures; such animals include:

  • Animals produced in campus breeding colonies
  • Pre-weanling pups purchased as "Dam with Litter"
  • Offspring of animals purchased while pregnant and then born following a full term pregnancy.  Animals harvested as embryos (prior to natural birth) do not need to be counted or reported. 
  • Any other animals acquired through sources other than ULAR purchasing (e.g., exotic animals purchased by the Lead Researcher directly from the vendor).

Web reporting of animals

To report animals, go to the Web Reporting of Animals interface.  All personnel listed on a given protocol, including Administrative Contacts, are authorized to access this web resource, where you can review past animal use, report animals not already counted by ULAR, and access a list of personnel authorized to work with live animals on the protocol.

Animal numbers should be reviewed and compared to laboratory records at least once per year, at the time of submission of the Annual Continuation Application.  The IACUC strongly recommends that researchers report their animals on a more frequent basis (e.g., quarterly or monthly).

For more information about acquiring and housing animals for use in research at UCI, including how to transfer animals from other institutions, visit the ULAR website.

Questions? Contact us at

News & Announcements

View More