The Hewitt BSL-3/ABSL-3 laboratory is an 1100 sq.ft. suite of 8 rooms and consists of:
- Anteroom/personnel gowning
- Lavatory/ shower
- Central processing preparation room
- Animal room 1
- General wet lab/tissue culture room 1
- Animal room 2
- General wet lab/tissue culture room 2
- Equipment storage/decontamination corridor
There are three class II biosafety cabinets and one class III glove box. The two animal rooms are equipped with state-of-the-art rodent rack caging systems that maintain primary biocontainment of all animals under negative pressure double HEPA-filtered air. Animal husbandry is performed with a Tecniplast IBS station class II biocontainment hood equipped with an automated dunk tank for cage decontamination. The Hewitt facility is also capable of supporting work with CDC/USDA Select Agents.
The BioSci III BSL-3/ABSL-3 laboratory is an 1800 sq. ft. suite of 6 rooms and consist of:
- Dedicated PPE donning and laboratory entrance
- Dedicated PPE doffing and laboratory exit
- General wet lab/tissue culture 1
- General wet lab/tissue culture/ABSL-3 room 2
- General storage
- Decontamination corridor
There are four class II biosafety cabinets and optional primary containment caging systems for housing rodents. High-speed and ultracentrifuges are located inside the laboratory.
Both BSL-3 suites have dedicated single pass HEPA-filtered exhaust under negative pressure & directional airflow with sophisticated emergency backup systems and alarms for continuous real-time monitoring of the individual laboratory room pressures. One-way pass-through autoclaves are used to sterilize all waste out of the facilities.