The Human Research Protections (HRP) unit in the Office of Research will charge Institutional Review Board (IRB) fees for new clinical research submissions that are partially or fully supported by industry sponsors, including chart review studies. If UCI defers review to an independent IRB (e.g., WCG, Advarra), HRP charges a fee for administrative review and oversight.
The IRB fee schedule has been simplified.
Effective September 1, 2021, NEW clinical research protocols partially or fully supported by industry sponsors will be charged a ONE-TIME fee at the time of UCI or sIRB approval.
- The ONE-TIME fee will be $1,568.00.
- There will be no fee for renewals.
- There will be no fee for amendments.
- There will be no fee for unanticipated problems.
- Currently, approved protocols will no longer be charged.
- De-Novo review will go away; Kuali Research Protocols (KRP) allows for Researchers to maintain their protocols using up-to-date templates.
This fee will adjust annually to align with HRP expenses. The rate will adjust up or down based on actual expenditures for the current fiscal year, and projected expenses for the following fiscal year. For budgeting purposes, Researchers should assume that the future fee will be 3% higher than the current rate.
Note: IRB Review Fees are not charged for the following:
- Federally supported research
- Foundation supported research
For additional information, please see HRPP Policy# 6 and/ or the UCI IRB Review Fee Policy.
If you have questions, contact Beverley Alberola, Director of Human Research Protections, at 949-824-5746 or email@example.com.